Click for more info !

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Preparing For Bangkok Trip 14-22 Oct 2012

Having colleagues who are crazy over Bangkok helped in prompting me to make plans for my next family holiday - To the Land Of Smiles!

There are sooooooo many blogs on Bangkok that it basically means info are in abundance online!

Have already booked flights via Tiger Airlines, a total cost of S$1054/- for 5 pax. Add-on baggages of 60kg inclusive.  Super cheap and that's because I booked way in advance like 3 months ago. 

As for hotel, it was a messy thought process. Initially thought of staying 1 night at Pratunam @ Hotel 93 and then shift over to Mecure Siam Bangkok for the rest of our stay as this hotel is basically at the doorstep of the BTS and opp. of MBK. Thanks to colleague J, lol! Her frequent trips to Bangkok has made her an invaluable info ATM !

Finally decided to just simply book whole stay at Mecure Siam as it is easier for transportation planning. The hotel offers 2 rates, best rate which once you booked, there is no way to change or cancel or unrestricted rates, where you can make changes as and when you please, including on the day you are due to travel. 

Being typical kiasus, we booked with the unrestricted rates.  WAIT! Not because we are willing to pay more, but rather, want to ensure that we " reserve" the rooms first. Since we book about 2 months earlier, no one can tell if plans may change due to unforeseen circumstances. Nearer to date when we confirmed that the trip will definitely take place, I will call up the hotel to change this to the best rate booking. In this way, I am assured of having the rooms and at the same time since I booked way in advance even if I am not successful in switching to the best rates w/o change, I would still have enjoyed a lower rate coz I booked early.

But if you intend to follow above method you will need to occasionally check and see if the hotel rates have changed as travel dates draw nearer. If it has changed you may then want to recalculate to see if its more worthwhile to keep to unrestricted rates or go ahead and switch to best rate. For the duration of my stay, the difference between the 2 rates costs a difference of SGD160. Thus I am prepared in the event the switch to best rate is not feasible, I will stick back with the unrestricted rate.  Not a bad idea too as I can cancel my stay anytime if I find a better and cheaper hotel when I am in Bangkok. :))

I used my DBS Visa card for my booking and I actually lose around SGD20 plus dollars in exchange rate. Singapore money changers' rate was around 1:24.39 on the day I paid, but the bank's rate was 23.99. Damn low!  

Oh I have also made a 2 days 1 night hotel booking at Amphawa. This is the highlight of our trip. Somehow staying along a floating market has always appeal to me and this is like a dream come true. Hope it does not turn out to be a nightmare !  Will share more after my trip. :))



No comments:

I booked my hotel using