Click for more info !

Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Toy - APPLE TV!

5.1.2013..

Finally, bought a Apple TV for old folks.  Bought them a new ipad 2 weeks ago, downloaded some movies for them and each day, what a sight! The 2 old folks will be sitting side by side, shoulder to shoulder to view those movies on their ipad.  :) just like school children!

Finally today had some spare time, went down to Challenger and bought an Apple TV so that I can I can link their ipad to the HDMI TV and old folks can watch in comfort.  Wow, immediately after I finished the installation, the happy beam on their face?..worth all the efforts and money spent!

Initially, I was quite hesitant as I am not IT savvy and worry that I will not be able to set up the whole thingy.  But hey! Quite easy lei!  Will share how I set up mine in case there are people out there just as lost!

HOW TO INSTALL YOUR APPLE TV (from Ipad to TV)
These are the 2 items I bought to set up Apple TV.  The gadget as well as a HDMI cable. Be careful when we buy the HDMI cable, I almost grabbed the wrong thing from the shelf.  It was placed beside the Thunderbolt cable package..and to and IT sotong like me, it look alike except for the color :)) !





 Slide open the box....


 Took out the Apple TV modem...

The folowing are all the 3 items that comes in the box... 



First, I took the HDMI cable, plug one side into the Apple TV modem, and the other end, into my TV's HDMI slot..
 
Above is a photo of the TV's HDMI slot, below picture show the ports on the APPLE TV modem.  I plugged in the cable as well as the power adapter..



After that, I used my TV remote control and select HDMI 1 since this is the port I plug the cable into behind the TV
Once you've selected HDMI, you will be prompted to select the language that you want, as well how would you like to connect to the APPLE TV.  

NOTE : Obviously our screen is not touch screen and hence, once you see the TV screen asking you to inter info by scrolling up or down to select your choice, pick up the remote control that comes with the Apple TV and use that.  I missed the screen shot on the selection on language.  But should be very idiot-proof :)

When you see the following screen, select SETTINGS to start the simple configuration process..



PS: These movies icons that you see, it is not free movies.  If you were to click in, you can watch a trailer or purchase the movie.  I can't exactly remember the price, but it costs about SGD5 plus.

Next go to General, select "NETWORK" as we will be connecting to our home WI FI.  Key in WEP.  An on-screen keyboard will appear and once again, use the gadget's remote control to navigate. It may take up to 30 secs for the WI FI to be set up.  Once set up, you should see that under "NETWORK", your WI FI network name will appear..
Next, scroll to Air play, click.
 

Make sure you switch on Air Play

 After the above is done, take your ipad, press the home button 2 times..


Press, hold and slide the bottom portion of the ipad..

You will see the following.  Tab on the rectangle with a black triangle icon..


Make sure Apple TV is checked and MIRRORING is switched to on.  Once down, your TV and Ipad screen will be the same! VIOLA! Navigate around your ipad and watch the TV screen displaying the same image!


My old pa then asked me a question...how do I switch of the apple? Huh?  Lol....just close your ipad as what you would normally do after you finish using it, switch your TV back to TV mode...that's it lor!

The display on the TV looks really big and wonderful!  I have not explore its potential, but seems like it will be providing old folks hours of fun...YAY!

No comments:

I booked my hotel using